On Saturday August 6, 2016, the Oklahoma Route 66 Association announced the newest members of the Oklahoma Route 66 Hall of Fame.
This years inductees were Melvena Heisch, Deputy Director of the Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office and Laurel Kane (1947-2016), former proprietor of Afton Station.
Melvena Heisch and Oklahoma Route 66 Association President Brad Nickson (photo by Shellee Graham)
Sarah Kane (Laurel Kane’s daughter) and Oklahoma Route 66 Association President Brad Nickson (photo by Shellee Graham)
The first part of the long-anticipated “East Meets West” statue is finally being installed at the Cyrus Avery Centennial Plaza at the east end of the Cyrus Avery Route 66 Memorial Bridge (a.k.a. the Eleventh Street Bridge) in Tulsa.
(Post contributed by The Campbell Hotel.)
Tulsa is home to a pair of old Phillips 66 stations that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Both stations are on or near historic alignments of Route 66 and bear the distinctive cottage-style architecture favored by the Oklahoma-based petroleum company during the early 1930s.